Transportation planners are responsible for developing transportation strategies that encompass the needs of all transport users including pedestrians and cyclists, and which consider environmental, efficiency and safety issues. The Transportation Planner studies, analyzes, and evaluates data from current and proposed transportation projects and systems.
- Studies current transportation systems, analyzing effectiveness, use, and needs.
- Studies proposed transportation projects, analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the plans.
- Evaluates the legality of current and proposed transit infrastructure.
- Drafts reports outlining findings and recommendations.
- Recommends acceptance, rejection, or modifications for proposed plans.
- Recommends modifications to current plans to improve efficiency, reduce environmental impact, reduce cost, and implement other improvements.
- Designs plans for new infrastructure projects such as car parking, bus facilities, or bike lanes.
- Presents plans to various legislative organizations and groups and negotiates cooperation.
- Submits bids and writes grants to secure funding for projects.
- Oversees the implementation of proposed changes and developments.
- Adheres to timeline and budgetary constraints.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to write clear reports, communicate findings, and articulate proposals.
- Thorough understanding of governmental transport and planning policies.
- Ability to model and analyze traffic flows using mathematical techniques and computer applications.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Degree in Civil Engineering and Transportation Engineering recognized by Board of Engineers, Malaysia (BEM).
- Registered with BEM
- Conversant with codes and regulations
- Able to work independently for all types and sizes of projects comprising Transport / Highway.
- Minimum 7-10 years of experience in the similar capacity with strong planning, organizational and supervision skills
- Knowledge of transportation modelling software packages will be an advantage
- Able to lead a team of engineers and other staff in undertaking a multi-disciplinary project.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize workloads and meet timelines.
- Good interpersonal skills and outcome drove. A good team player.
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Good command of written and spoken Bahasa Malaysia.